RMB WineX Johannesburg and Talk Radio 702 Best Wine on Show Awards 2008
12 November 2008
Gauteng winelovers flocked to the ninth RMB WineX Johannesburg held at the Sandton Convention Centre at the end of October. A record count of more than 15,500 wine enthusiasts passed through the doors for the four evenings of the show. With over 1,300 wines from 250 exhibitors to choose from, 1,500 visitors cast their vote in the 2008 Talk Radio 702 Best Wine on Show Awards.
Hamilton Russell Vineyards, Springfield and Diemersfontein led the field of 21 wines which made the top rankings. KWV received the most votes for their full range of wines on show.
The most popular wines at RMB WineX Johannesburg 2008 were:
Joint first position Talk Radio 702 Best White Wine on Show: Hamilton Russell Chardonnay 2005 and Springfield Life from Stone Sauvignon Blanc 2008
- Hamilton Russell Chardonnay : 1st place RMB WineX Cape Town 2008 and 1st place RMB WineX Johannesburg 2007
- Springfield Life from Stone Sauvignon Blanc: In top 10 ranking at RMB WineX Cape Town 2008
Talk Radio 702 Best Red Wine on Show: Diemersfontein Pinotage 2007
- 1st place at RMB WineX Cape Town 2008 and in top 10 at RMB WineX Johannesburg 2007
- Top seller by volume at Shop@Show at RMB WineX Johannesburg 2008
The list of the top ten wines at RMB WineX Johannesburg (including those with tied scores):
Talk Radio 702 Best White Wine on Show
- Joint 1st: Hamilton Russell Chardonnay 2005 and Springfield Life from Stone Sauvignon Blanc 2008
- 3rd: Jordan Nine Yards Chardonnay 2007
The balance of the Top Ten in alphabetical order
- Cederberg Sauvignon Blanc 2008
- Forrester Meinert Chenin 2007
- Glen Carlou Chardonnay 2007
- Kanu Chenin Blanc 2007
- Mooiplaas Sauvignon Blanc 2007
- Steenberg Sauvignon Blanc 2008
- Vrede en Lust Sauvignon Blanc 2008
Talk Radio 702 Best Red Wine on Show
- 1st: Diemersfontein Pinotage 2007
- 2nd: Lindhorst Statement 2005
The balance of the Top Ten in alphabetical order (includes wines with tied scores)
- Boekenhoutskloof Chocolate Block 2007
- De Toren DDS Shiraz 2004
- De Toren Fusion V 2006
- Kanonkop Paul Sauer 2005
- KWV Café Culture 2008
- Meerlust Rubicon 2004
- Rupert & Rothschild Baron Edmond 2004
- Rupert & Rothschild Classique 2006
- Schalk Burger & Sons No. 6 2005
In what is widely regarded as the most credible consumer wine poll, the Talk Radio 702 Best Wine on Show Awards recognise and reward the country's top wines offered for sampling at the show. All but 10% of the wineries received votes in the ballot.
Commented Michael Fridjhon, director of WineX: "The Best Wine on Show ballot has become a meaningful barometer of the style and variety most sought after by the country's premium wine consumer. The numbers are large enough to be statistically significant: Sauvignon Blanc and Chenin Blanc, among the whites, and Bordeaux Blends and richly oaked Pinotages, among the reds, clearly showing what the WineX public prefer.
Now in its ninth year in Sandton and with 15 shows inclusive of RMB WineX Cape Town, the wine industry enjoyed a 25% increase in wine sales (on the 2007 record amount) generated through the Shop@Show retail facility transacted by Norman Goodfellow's. The top selling wine by volume was the Diemersfontein Pinotage 2007 and the top seller by value was the Meerlust Rubicon 2004.
Benoni Aurora Rotary Club raised just less than R190,000 for their services at the show and through winery donations.
Click here to comment on this news article